Orange Raisin Scone Mix
Orange Raisin SCONE MIX
So you've got our scone mix, now what? Follow this easy recipe for quick & delicious scones that are really just a vessel for jam consumption.
Makes 7 to 8 scones. Adapted from Ina Garten.
1/2 cup cold heavy cream
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 pound cold unsalted butter, diced
1/2 tbsp. grated orange zest (optional)
1 egg beaten with 2 tbsp. water or milk, for egg wash
Raw sugar, for sprinkling
Sliced almonds, to garnish (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, add the bag of scone mix and the orange zest if using. Add the cold butter and mix at the lowest speed until the butter is the size of peas.
3. Combine the eggs and heavy cream and, with the mixer on low, slowly pour into the flour and butter mixture. Mix until just blended.
4. Dump the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead into a ball. Flour your hands and a rolling pin and roll the dough to 3/4" thick. Flour a 3" round cutter and cut circles out of the dough.
5. Place the scones on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Collect the scraps, roll them out and cut more circles. Place the pan in the freezer for 30 minutes uncovered.
6. Remove the scones from the freezer and brush the tops with egg wash, sprinkle with sugar and almonds and bake for 20 minutes or so on the middle rack of the oven until the tops are browned. Let cool.