SEARED SCALLOPS WITH PEACH JAM & COUSCOUS APPLE SALAD
You can never go wrong with scallops. Like, never.
Makes 4 servings. Adapted from A Thought for Food.
For the couscous salad
1 cup couscous
1 large apple, diced
2 tbsp. parsley, chopped
1 oz. lemon juice
Salt, to taste
2 tbsp. olive oil
For the seared scallops
1 lb. large sea scallops
3 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup Smoked Peach Jam
1. Place the couscous and 2 cups of water in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff to separate the pasta using a fork. Let cool.
2. Transfer the couscous to a bowl, along with the apples and parsley. Separately, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour over the couscous salad and toss to combine.
3. in a small pan, heat the peach jam over low heat.
4. Dry the scallops with paper towels and remove the side muscle. Season with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and butter on high heat. Add the scallops and sear for approximately 3 minutes until the edges begin to turn brown. Flip the scallops over and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, depending on the size of the scallops. Turn off the heat.
5. To plate, spoon a couple tablespoons of jam in the middle of a plate or shallow bowl. Top with a couple spoonfuls of couscous salad, followed by the scallops. Spoon some of the remaining melted butter from the pan on top of the scallops.